London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 2008-09--> All for 20090124
<-Page <-Team Sat 24 Jan 2009 Hearts 3 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 2 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Scotsman ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Csaba Laszlo <-auth Barry Anderson auth-> Steve Conroy
[P Mihadjuks 56] ;[D Imrie 88] Roy Adam McBain
17 of 045 David Obua 39 ;David Obua 79 ;Laryea Kingston 89 L SPL H

Managerless Inverness push Hearts to the limit

SUBSTITUTE Larry Kingston played a perfect cameo role for Hearts with a dramatic last-minute winner to secure victory over Inverness Caledonian Thistle, who twice came from behind despite finishing the afternoon with ten men.
David Obua's first goals for Hearts looked sufficient for three points until Dougie Imrie struck a spectacular 25-yard free-kick beyond Jamie MacDonald on 89 minutes, adding to Pavels Mihadjuks' earlier equaliser. Sixty seconds later Kingston converted Andy Driver's cross - one of three goal assists from the outstanding Englishman - to round off a quite breathtaking final 30 minutes.

Roy McBain had been dismissed on the hour amid controversy as Michael Stewart missed a penalty, but Obua's header 11 minutes from time restored Hearts' advantage. Imrie's goal restored parity before Kingston, an 86th-minute replacement for Christian Nade, intervened with the decisive third goal.

Following Aberdeen's goalless draw with Rangers, Hearts knew at kick-off that victory could propel them to third in the SPL table depending on Dundee United's result against St Mirren.

Csaba Laszlo selected the same team which defeated Kilmarnock last weekend save for Lee Wallace replacing Jason Thomson at left-back. Inverness, under the command of coach John Docherty, began with a 4-1-4-1 formation in the hope of arresting the recent sequence of seven straight defeats which cost Craig Brewster his job. Docherty included future Hearts midfielder Ian Black amongst an experienced group of substitutes.

An untidy opening period ensued until Hearts sprung into attack on 21 minutes. The talismanic Bruno Aguiar released Driver with an intelligent through ball behind the visiting defence, and the winger's cross would have produced an own goal off the sliding Grant Munro had it not been for Ryan Esson's sprightly reactions. The hosts somehow avoided falling behind five minutes later, as Imrie contrived to head Don Cowie's free-kick into the side netting when unmarked at the far post. For each sigh of relief heaved in Laszlo's technical area at that point, there must have been a groan of despair from those in the away dugout after wasting such a glaring opening.

The match continued in rather turgid fashion until Hearts' opener broke the monotony. From Driver's hanging cross, Obua rose with Esson to win the ball in the air and knock it into an empty net for his first goal in maroon. The delight on the Ugandan's face afterwards betrayed the difficulties he has endured adapting to football and life in Scotland, and he seemed determined to enjoy a welcome moment of notoriety.

Driver's powerful strike brought a vital save from Esson at the start of the second half, however Hearts' one-goal advantage always looked fragile and on 56 minutes Inverness forced an equaliser when Mihadjuks headed Cowie's free-kick venomously beyond MacDonald. Moments later, and with the home defence caught unaware, Cowie accepted a short corner and crossed for Ross Tokely to send what was a decent chance into the Roseburn Stand. Inverness were beginning to sense the prospect of a second goal with Hearts restricted to playing in their own half.

Christian Nade enjoyed an impressive overall performance in the lone striking berth and Esson was required to stop shots from both the Frenchman and midfielder Stewart in quick succession. The need for a goal brought Gary Glen off the substitutes' bench on 64 minutes much to the chagrin of Bruno Aguiar, who was withdrawn and headed straight for the home dressing room in disgust.

The afternoon erupted in controversy just before the hour. Driver was taken down in the penalty area by McBain, who was then booked for protesting after referee Steve Conroy awarded a spot-kick. Stewart's strike from 12 yards was saved by Esson before McBain received a straight red card for an off-the-ball incident having remonstrated with one of Conroy's assistants.

Esson tipped a Christos Karipidis header onto the crossbar as Hearts, intending to capitalise on their one-man advantage, began to press forward. Driver and Obua had swapped flanks and soon repeated their combination for the first goal to restore the hosts' advantage. Driver's right-sided cross was met by the towering Obua at the back post, and this time his header flew past Esson and into the goal. Cue yet more jubilant celebrations.

McBain's free-kick was a sublime as any seen at Tynecastle and Inverness must have thought they would be taking a point back to the Highlands, but they hadn't reckoned on Kingston's late contribution.

Hearts (4-4-1-1): MacDonald; Neilson, Jonsson, Berra, Wallace; Obua, Stewart, Karipidis, Driver; Aguiar; Nade. Subs: Kello, Kingston 86 (for Nade), Mrowiec, Cesnauskis, Thomson, McGowan, Glen 64 (for Aguiar).

Inverness (4-1-4-1): Esson; Gathuessi, Mihadjuks, Munro, McBain; Tokely; Cowie, Duncan, Vigurs, Imrie; Wood. Subs: Fraser, Proctor 19 (for Gathuessi), McGuire 76 (for Vigurs), Black, Rooney 86 (for Wood), Barrowman, Gillespie.

Referee: Steve Conroy.

Attendance: 13,224

Taken from the Scotsman

<-Page <-Team Sat 24 Jan 2009 Hearts 3 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 2 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © |