London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 2004-05--> All for 20040904
<-Page <-Team Sat 04 Sep 2004 Hearts 3 Hibernian 1 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Sunday Mail ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Craig Levein <-auth Gavin Berry auth-> John Rowbotham
[S Dobbie pen 80]
11 of 016 Craig Sives 41 ;Mark de Vries 63 ;Dennis Wyness 81 Other Cup H


HEARTS .............3 HIBS .................1
Gavin BERRY at Tynecastle

De Vries takes 10 seconds to shatter Hibees

Gavin Berry

HEARTS hitman Mark de Vries took just TEN SECONDS to show how much he's been missed this season. The big Dutchman made his first appearance of the season yesterday and inspired Craig Levein's men to victory in the Bank of Scotland Festival Cup.

Craig Sives handed Hearts the lead before de Vries struck immediately after coming on.

Stephen Dobbie gave Hibs hope from the spot before Dennis Wyness added a third to ensure the Cup stayed at Tynecastle.

De Vries, Hearts' top scorer for the past two seasons, hadn't featured since picking up a hamstring injury in a pre-season friendly game against Fulham.

But he didn't take long to rediscover his scoring touch and was involved in a late flare-up with Hibs captain Ian Murray which saw both players were booked.

Now Levein will hope to pitch his big target man in against Rangers in the SPL next weekend at Tynecastle.

A combination of international duty and injuries meant the sides were missing 16 first-team players between them for the second Festival Cup clash.

That meant a glimpse of the future for supporters who turned out on a sun-kissed afternoon in the capital as Hearts aimed to retain the trophy they won last year thanks to an Andy Webster goal.

No fewer than four kids were given their first run-outs in the top team with Sives and Calum Elliot starting for the home side and John Kane and on-loan signing from Chelsea, Craig Rocastle, in the visitors' line-up.

Murray made his first appearance of the year after being out with a groin problem and de Vries was on the bench.

There was a one minute's silence in memory of Gordon Smith, who won league titles with both sides, and legendary Jambos keeper Willie Duff who passed away recently.

Fans also honoured the dead from the Russian school massacre.

When the action started Hibs had the first effort and Jamie McCluskey's long-range drive was saved comfortably by Tepi Moilanen.

Phil Stamp tried his luck at the other end with a good shot which just sailed over the bar after a decent build-up involving four Hearts players.

Early evidence suggested there would be no holding back from the players despite the friendly tag on the match and David McGeown's foul on Jay Shields would have resulted in a booking on any other day.

Neil MacFarlane was influential early on, spreading the ball about well from his central midfield role, and he almost got on the scoresheet with a superb dipping volley.

Michael Stewart provided a great cross into a packed penalty area which looked to have eluded everyone until Sives slid in at the back post but he was stretching and his effort went wide.

The home side were beginning to dominate and just after the half-hour mark they had the best chance of the game and it was Sives again who went close.

Robbie Neilson whipped in a great ball from the right-hand side and found Sives in the clear but his header went just wide with Alistair Brown scrambling across his line.

Sives was the first name into referee John Rowbotham's book for a foul on Stephen Fletcher and Dobbie's effort from the resulting free-kick was just too high. Four minutes before the break the deadlock was finally broken and the goal came from Sives, who had been threatening all afternoon.

He got on the end of a free-kick into the box from Stewart to knock the ball past Brown.

It was the lift the game needed and Hearts almost doubled their tally just before the half-time whistle.

Stewart was again the creator with a whipped-in corner which Stamp audaciously tried to back flick into the net only for a defender to clear.

Both managers made a change each at the break, Robert Sloan coming on for McGeown in the Hearts ranks and Hibs' Dean Shiels replacing Fletcher.

Wyness should have made it 2-0 six minutes after the re-start when Elliot put him through but he shot straight at Brown.

Hibs kid McCluskey looks as if he should just be starting high school but what he lacks in height is made up with his supreme confidence.

He was involved in a tussle with Stamp and fell to the ground holding his face after winning possession from the Englishman, who insisted he was play-acting.

Kevin McDonald came on for Kane but the biggest cheer was reserved moments for de Vries when he was introduced in place of Elliot.

The Dutchman's goal threat has been badly missed and seconds after coming on he rose unchallenged to head home Sloan's corner.

Hibs looked to have been given a glimmer of hope when Dobbie rifled a long-range drive beyond Moilanen but it was ruled offside.

Joe Hamill came on for Stewart, who must surely have staked his claim for a start in the SPL next week with an impressive display, and Stephen Notman replaced Kevin Nicol for Hibs.

McCluskey had a good effort well saved by Moilanen 15 minutes from time and four minutes later the youngster was brought down by Sives in the box.

Dobbie lashed home from the spot but Hibs' celebrations were shortlived as Wyness tapped in after David Murphy made a meal of clearing a Hamill cross.

Taken from the Sunday Mail

<-Page <-Team Sat 04 Sep 2004 Hearts 3 Hibernian 1 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © 2004 |