London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 2008-09--> All for 20080809
<-Page <-Team Sat 09 Aug 2008 Hearts 3 Motherwell 2 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type BBC ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Csaba Laszlo <-auth None auth-> Iain Brines
[D Clarkson 33] ;[D Clarkson 80]
18 of 029 Michael Stewart 25 ;Audrius Ksanavicius 40 ;Saulius Mikoliunas 81 L SPL H

Hearts 3 - 2 Motherwell

Hearts got the Csaba Laszlo era off to a victorious start as they won a pulsating match-up against Motherwell.

Home midfielder Michael Stewart netted neatly on 24 minutes before David Clarkson levelled eight minutes later.

Audrius Ksanavicius bravely pounced on defensive errors to put Hearts further ahead on 40 minutes but Clarkson struck again nine minutes before full-time.

However, the visitors were left stunned as Saulius Mikoliunas instantly hit back with a winner.

Laszlo's first match had failed to inspire a full house at Tynecastle, but the Hearts fans who turned up were encouraged by their team's start.

Laryea Kingston shot a yard over following a strong run to the edge of the penalty area and Andy Driver's cross just evaded Jamie Mole.

Bob Malcolm was booked for chopping down the dangerous Driver as he burst down the left and new Motherwell skipper Stephen Craigan enjoyed a huge let-off in the ninth minute.

Last-man Craigan lost possession to Ksanavicius on the edge of the box, but referee Iain Brines gave a foul that did not seem apparent, although Graeme Smith saved the Lithuanian's shot as the whistle blew.

Ksanavicius was soon booked for diving after falling over Craigan's outstretched leg in the box.

Hearts surged ahead after 24 minutes when neat link-up play from Mole, Ksanavicius and Driver.

The trio carved open the Motherwell defence, setting up Stewart to roll the ball home after his late run into the box.

It was almost 2-0 when Driver's strike was deflected towards Smith in the visitors' goal and he nudged the ball onto the bar.

However, Mark McGhee's side were level on 33 minutes when Stephen Hughes hit the bye-line and picked out Clarkson, who tapped home from close range.
David Clarkson nets his first
David Clarkson nets the first of his Motherwell double

Keith Lasley and Stewart were booked after the Hearts midfielder reacted angrily to a foul as Motherwell continued to improve.

A dangerous free-kick by Hughes had no takers and Clarkson looped a header over following Steven McGarry's cross.

Laszlo's men edged in front once again five minutes before the break after Mark Reynolds and Craigan both failed to mop up the danger.

Ksanavicius was left one-on-one with Smith and was brave enough to steal in and slide the ball through the keeper's legs and into the net.

There was still time for Motherwell to remind Hearts they remained a threat as Clarkson flashed an effort wide from 20 yards on the half-time whistle.

Hearts remained in control in the second half and Marius Zaliukas beat Smith to a high ball, but saw his header drift away from goal, while Kingston was too high with two long-range efforts.

Marc Fitzpatrick replaced Malcolm as McGhee looked to add some drive to his three-man midfield but Zaliukas threatened again following a high ball with a powerful volley that was held by Smith.

The match looked like it was going to end 2-1, but Fir Park striker Clarkson had other ideas on 81 minutes.

He attempted to flick the ball forward, but the ball broke back to him and he blasted it low under the outstretched hand of Steve Banks in the Hearts goal.

However, Motherwell switched off and Hearts hit back instantly.

Substitute Mikoliunas got the ball, drove into the box and fairly fizzed the ball past Smith to hand the Tynecastle side a dramatic victory.

Hearts: Banks, Karipidis, Zaliukas, Berra, Lee Wallace, Thomson, Kingston (Mikoliunas 77), Stewart, Driver (Cesnauskis 69), Ksanavicius (Makela 72), Mole. Subs: MacDonald, Nade, Jonsson, Matej Rapnik.

Booked: Stewart, Ksanavicius, Banks.

Motherwell: Graeme Smith, Quinn, Craigan, Reynolds, Hammell, Lasley (O'Brien 79), Hughes, Malcolm (Fitzpatrick 54), McGarry (Smith 75), Porter, Clarkson. Subs: Neilson, Murphy, Connolly, Slane.

Booked: Malcolm, Lasley.

Referee: Iain Brines.

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Laryea Kingston 8.17 (on 90 minutes).

Taken from the BBC

<-Page <-Team Sat 09 Aug 2008 Hearts 3 Motherwell 2 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © |