London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 2007-08--> All for 20080513
<-Page <-Team Tue 13 May 2008 Gretna 1 Hearts 0 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Daily Record ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Stephen Frail <-auth Chris Roberts auth-> John Underhill
Glen Gary [G Skelton 93]
6 of 010 ----- L SPL A

Gretna 1-0 Hearts

May 14 2008 By Chris Roberts

GAVIN SKELTON blasted home a dramatic last-gasp winner in Gretna's final SPL match - and possibly their last game ever.

The debt-ridden Raydale club are expected to be read their last rites on Saturday unless a white knight comes to their rescue with at least £2million to save them from going bust.

But at least their players gave the SPL and their travelling supporters something to remember them by.

And it was fitting a player who has been with them since their days in the Unibond League should blast home an incredible late winner against 10-man Hearts.

Gary Glen ended a disappointing campaign for the Jambos in shame having been dismissed for kicking out at Darren Barr in the 25th minute.

Nicky Deverdics could have put Gretna ahead early on but instead of running to the main stand with his hands in the air he was left holding his head in them after squandering a glorious chance.

Rhys Meynell charged down the left and fired the ball towards the centre of the box. Christos Karipidis made a complete hash of his clearance and the ball ended up at the feet of the Englishman but he somehow managed to place the ball past the upright from 10 yards out.

But Hearts' troubles went from bad to worse when 18-year-old Glen was flashed a straight red card by John Underhill after flicking out his boot into Barr's chest after the two had tangled on the ground.

Skelton was perhaps lucky not to follow him moments later when he lashed out at Laryea Kingston but the referee chose to play on.

The Hearts fans were baying for the referee's blood but they were almost celebrating a goal against the odds when Fernando Screpis unleashed a fierce drive from 25 yards that Greg Fleming did well to push away.

Strangely the capital side looked more dangerous after going down to 10 men and a 22-yard effort from Kingston flew just past the post.

Hearts looked fired up at the start of the second half and Jamie Mole should have done better in the 50th minute but struggled to control Michael Stewart's pass and lobbed his effort over the bar.

Gretna's Meynell had a chance seven minutes later when he beat the offside trap to get on the end of Griffiths' cross but instead of finding the net headed straight into the hands of Banks.

There was a disturbing sight in the 73rd minute when Hearts defender Marius Zaliukas seemed to collide with a team-mate and was stretchered off in some distress.

That didn't stop Frail's side carving out their best chance of the game in the 80th minute and would have snatched the points but for the heroics of on-loan Birmingham keeper Krysiak.

Kingston picked out sub Kestutis Ivaskevicius at the back post for what looked a certain goal but the Pole changed direction and somehow kept the ball out. But Krysiak was racing down the field to celebrate a dramatic last-gasp winner after Skelton fired beyond Banks and into the top corner to spark celebrations among 1090 fans.


Darren Barr (Gretna)

GRETNA- Fleming 5 (Krysiak 63, 7), Griffiths 7, Barr 7, Skelton 6, Osman 6, Hall 5, Hogg 5 (Taylor 84, 1), Naughton 6, Deverdics 6, Meynell 5, McGill 6. Subs not used: Murray, Fisher, Robinson, Sharples, Schultz-Eklund.

HEARTS-Banks 6, Thomson 6, Wallace 6, Cesnauskis 4 (Palazuelos 69, 2), Stewart 6, Karipidis 5, Zaliukas 6 (McGowan 73, 1), Screpis 4 (Ivaskevicius 69, 2), Kingston 6, Glen 1, Mole 7. Subs not used: Ridgers, Goncalves, Rapnik, Husband.

Referee- J Underhill.

Taken from the Daily Record

<-Page <-Team Tue 13 May 2008 Gretna 1 Hearts 0 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © |