London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 2003-04--> All for 20040501
<-Page <-Team Sat 01 May 2004 Dundee United 0 Hearts 2 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Sporting Life ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Craig Levein <-auth None auth-> Mark Ritchie
4 of 007 Mark de Vries 4 ;Andy Webster 72 L SPL A

Dundee United 0 Hearts 2

Goals from Mark de Vries and Andy Webster ended Dundee United's 11-game unbeaten run and tightened Hearts' grip on third place in the Bank of Scotland Premier League.

De Vries struck after only four minutes, capitalising on a mix-up between defender Chris Innes and goalkeeper Paul Gallacher. Scotland defender Webster then added the second in the 72nd minute, again the beneficiary of some poor home defending.

United will be aggrieved they were not awarded a penalty in the first half when Jason Scotland appeared to be tripped by Webster as he burst through on goal, but referee Mike Ritchie dismissed his claims.

The three points all but assure Craig Levein's side of third place and the UEFA Cup spot their league position brings.

Hearts got off to the perfect start and took the lead after only four minutes.

De Vries chased Paul Hartley's pass into the box and slipped the ball into an unguarded net when Gallacher and Innes both went the wrong way and left a large space for the Dutchman to find.

United, stunned at losing a goal so early on, thought they had equalised within four minutes, but Innes was flagged offside after nodding Mark Wilson's free-kick into the net from six yards.

The home fans were incensed in the 20th minute when Webster appeared to clip the heels of Scotland as he burst through one-on-one with Craig Gordon.

The pacy forward seemed to lose control of the ball just before the tackle came in and went tumbling to the floor more eagerly than he should have.

His strike partner Collin Samuel spurned a great chance to equalise on the half-hour mark, heading Billy Dodds' cross well wide from only a few yards.

United showed more defensive hesitancy right after the interval as Gallacher made a hash of a punch and sent the ball spinning into the air. As he tried to get back into position, Kevin McKenna quickly tried a scissors kick, but dragged his shot wide.

They should have levelled minutes later when David McCracken got on the end of Barry Robson's drilled low ball in the six-yard box, but he seemed surprised could not dig a shot out from between his feet.

Hearts added the second goal in the 72nd minute through Webster.

The 22-year-old defender took advantage of some more disorganised defending to nod Scott Severin's headed pass beyond Gallacher. Once more the United defence were slow to react, with Innes again off the pace and out of position.

McCall decided to withdraw Samuel for Graeme Holmes with 15 minutes remaining. Once again the striker looked well out of his depth against Hearts' experienced defence.

Levein made changes to waste some time towards the end, replacing Severin and Hartley with Neil MacFarlane and Dennis Wyness.


Dundee Utd Gallacher, Wilson, McCracken (James Paterson 73), Innes, Archibald, Easton, Kerr, Dodds, Robson, Samuel (Holmes 77), Scotland.

Subs Not Used: Jarvie, Duff, Conway.

Booked: Easton.

Hearts Gordon, Pressley, McKenna, Webster, Neilson, Severin (MacFarlane 82), Hartley (Wyness 88), Hamill, Maybury, de Vries, Weir (Janczyk 60).

Subs Not Used: Moilanen, Kisnorbo.

Booked: Neilson.

Goals: de Vries 4, Webster 72.

Att: 6,620

Ref: M Ritchie (Scotland).

Taken from

<-Page <-Team Sat 01 May 2004 Dundee United 0 Hearts 2 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © 2004 |