London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 1993-94--> All for 19930825
<-Page <-Team Wed 25 Aug 1993 Hearts 0 Falkirk 1 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Herald ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Sandy Clark <-auth James Traynor auth-> DD Hope
[E May 90]
1 of 001 ----- LC H

May saves time with a late winner


26 Aug 1993

Hearts 0, Falkirk 1

EDDIE May, a former Hibernian player, stunned Hearts and their supporters when he scored the only goal of last night's Scottish League Cup tie in the final minute when everyone had resigned themselves to extra time.

The midfielder's goal was worthy of winning a match, but the timing was cruel in the extreme, even though few could have argued Falkirk did not deserve their win.

The first division side had gone to Tynecastle confident of winning and Hearts were never able to pin them back.

Hearts had to field a makeshift defence because of injury problems -- also their new signing Jim Weir was cup-tied -- but that cannot be used as an excuse on a night when they wanted to prove the 6-0 thrashing by Falkirk at the end of last season was one of those bizarre results.

They will have to wait some time for another opportunity, while Falkirk strive to return to the premier division, but the Brockville side's attention now will be on next week's quarter-final tie against Dundee United.

The early play favoured Hearts, with Fashanu powering his way through on the right before over-hitting his delivery into the box and then Colquhoun volleying a tantalising McKinlay cross against a defender.

A heartening start indeed for the locals, but there had also been a glimpse of Falkirk's desire to push forward.

McKenzie headed over the bar and then McCall was allowed a header after Wright had given the ball away just outside his own box.

Seconds later Shaw, even though he was being leaned on by Hogg, managed to drive in a shot which was well saved by Smith.

0 The Tynecastle side were having to labour at the back, and it seemed strange that, after their promising start, they failed to maintain a decent service to Fashanu and Colquhoun.

It was more than coincidence that a chance was created seven minutes from the break by Colquhoun, who sent in a good cross which Fashanu should have headed more powerfully.

Parks was able to grasp the ball with ease.

Hearts resumed with Johnston on in place of Mauchlen.

As the youngster was still warming to his task Fashanu outjumped Weir and headed on to Robertson, who should have scored, but pushed the ball against Parks.

Hearts had to make another change.

Fashanu had taken a knock and was withdrawn, making way for Thomas.

A Colquhoun long-range shot missed by a couple of yards, and he took centre stage again when tackled by Oliver inside Falkirk's box.

But he was a shade too elaborate in his tumble to the the ground.

He rose to question the referee's judgment when the penalty was refused and finished up being booked.

McCall, who tripped Locke, was booked a few minutes later as the tie stumbled on, but May was waiting to to break Hearts.

With only a minute remaining the ball was played to the edge of Hearts' box and May curled the ball into the right-hand corner of Smith's net.

There was no time for Hearts to respond.

HEARTS -- Smith, Locke, McKinlay, Levein, Hogg, Mauchlen, Colquhoun, Mackay, Fashanu, Wright, Robertson.

Substitutes -- Walker, Johnston, Thomas.

FALKIRK -- Parks, Johnston, McQueen, Oliver, Weir, Duffy, May, McKenzie, Cadette, McCall, Shaw.

Substitutes -- Westwater, McDonald, Taggart.

Referee -- D Hope (Erskine).

Taken from the Herald

<-Page <-Team Wed 25 Aug 1993 Hearts 0 Falkirk 1 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © |