London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 1991-92--> All for 19920101
<-Page <-Team Wed 01 Jan 1992 Hearts 1 Hibernian 1 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Herald ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Joe Jordan <-auth None auth-> DFT Syme
[T McIntyre pen 71]
2 of 002 Ian Ferguson 65 L Premier H

Hearts have to settle for point but stay top

2 Jan 1992

Hearts 1, Hibernian 1

HEARTS extended their unbeaten run in Edinburgh derby matches to 12 games following last night's 1-1 draw with capital rivals Hibernian at Tynecastle.

It is now three years since the Skol Cup winners from across the city have beaten Hearts, but a share of the spoils was enough to take the Tynecastle team to the top of the premier division and to take Hibs up to third.

Joe Jordan's men have now taken an impressive 24 out 28 points in a 14-game unbeaten run and the Gorgie side will feel a little aggrieved at not having won the New Year's Day fixture, having had marginally the better of the proceedings.

The first half provided poor entertainment for the 20,358 fans, with Hibs' policy clear.

Alex Miller kept sometimes as many as seven men at the back and included in his line-up 22-year-old David Farrell, playing his first game of the season.

The Easter Road men relied on the quick break.

The tactic worked to good effect on three notable occasions.

Mickey Weir worked good early position and it took a timely tackle from defender Dave McPherson to deny the tricky little playmaker.

Newcomer Farrell then sent leading marksman Keith Wright away on the left.

He sent the ball inside to Weir, who was again denied by a fine last-ditch tackle from Alan McLaren.

Hearts were the more imaginative side and an astute first-time pass across the face of the penalty box by midfielder Derek Ferguson led to a Scott Crabbe volley going just over.

Gary McKay also showed fine touches, and fired in a fine left-foot shot which was diverted for a corner by Hibs' forward Pat McGinlay.

Ferguson, picking up scraps in midfield and directing traffic up front, looked the most likely player to break the deadlock but the tight marking by the resolute Hibs rearguard made life difficult for Hearts' top marksmen John Robertson and Crabbe, who found chances at a premium.

Hibs had the ball in the net through Brian Hamilton on half-time but the goal was disallowed for offside.

The Easter Road men had the ball in the net for the second time after 55 minutes.

Weir prodding home from close range only to see the referee rule the goal out once again, and the talented midfielder prodded the ball home a minute later, but the referee again disallowed it.

Eventually, it was an inspired substitution by Tynecastle manager Jordan which broke the deadlock.

Ian Ferguson replaced the ineffective Scott Crabbe in 62 minutes and just three minutes later, he slammed the ball home following a Alan McLaren free kick which was headed on by Dave McPherson.

Hearts' joy was shortlived as six minutes later Hibs levelled from the penalty spot.

Hibs defender Gordon Hunter tried to burrow his way into the Hearts penalty box between McPherson and Tosh McKinlay.

He was brought down by McKinlay and Hibs' penalty specialist Tommy McIntyre stroked the ball home for his seventh goal of the season.

HEARTS -- Smith, McLaren, McKinlay, Levein, Mackay, MacPherson, Crabbe, D Ferguson, Baird, Millar, Robertson.

Substitutes -- I Ferguson, Hogg.

HIBERNIAN -- Reid, Miller, Tortolano, Farrell, McIntyre, Hunter, Weir, Hamilton, Wright, Beaumont, McGinlay.

Substitutes -- Evans, Findlay.

Referee -- D Syme (Rutherglen).

Taken from the Herald

<-Page <-Team Wed 01 Jan 1992 Hearts 1 Hibernian 1 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © |